San Antonio Law Firm Alerts People That Winter Brings With It An Increased Risk Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A prominent San Antonio Law Firm, Carabin Shaw P.C., would like to warn people that the wintertime brings an increased risk of them being exposed to harmful Carbon Monoxide. This is because people will be spending more time indoors with poorer ventilation in combination with doing such things as using fireplaces and other forms of heating that make CO buildup in a home or business more likely. The firm wants people to know that they also have legal rights if they have been exposed to a harmful amount of carbon monoxide due to negligence on another person or entity’s part. The legal rights people have when they have wrongfully been exposed to harmful amounts of CO are discussed in more detail on this respected firm’s website which can be seen at

The firm’s managing partner, Attorney James Shaw, says, “It’s part of our client-first policy to do such things as posting informational blogs and openly discussing topics that could help keep our clients out of harm’s way. We also like to expand upon that by informing our clients and others what legal recourse they have if they or a family member have been injured due to an individual or business failing to act responsibly. With the colder months fast approaching, we felt there was no better time to discuss the very real threat of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

Carabin shaw Attorneys at Law

Attorney Shaw went on to point out that according to the CDC, exposure to excess CO levels takes the lives of over 500 people each year and sends some 50,000 people to seek medical care from hospitals and emergency clinics in that same period. He added that those are some shocking numbers and the saddest part is much of this exposure to carbon monoxide could have been easily avoided by a home or business owner if they took just a few simple safety precautions. The managing partner also emphasized that owners of hotels, rental properties, and homes have legal obligations to make sure their properties are properly serviced and do not pose a risk to renters, friends, family, or guests when it comes to them developing CO Poisoning.

According to Attorney Shaw, winter temperatures now mean an increase in heating systems running for hours which adds to the carbon monoxide risk. He also mentioned that although heating sources such as gas-fired furnaces pose the biggest carbon monoxide exposure risk, other less well-known CO sources include water heaters, kerosene heaters, vehicles that are “warmed up” in garages, portable stoves, lanterns, and gas ranges. Even gas-powered devices such as portable generators and those that burn charcoal or wood all have the potential to cause carbon monoxide poisoning and should never be used indoors. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned and can die from breathing CO.

The firm’s managing partner went on to say that as far as detecting carbon monoxide goes it’s very hard because a person cannot see it, smell it, or touch it. These are the main reasons why CO Poisoning can be so deadly. It’s also why Carbon Monoxide is often called ‘the silent killer’. He talked about how each year brings tragic stories of families who have rented a cabin or home for a holiday or vacation and were hospitalized or died from CO Poisoning. News headlines just last December reported actress Anna Faris was among 13 people treated for carbon monoxide poisoning at an upscale vacation home. The managing partner also noted that recent deaths in Texas occurred due to a gas-powered generator and a dozen people in NY were sent to the hospital due to an apartment CO leak. He stated that whenever these events occur it greatly saddens him and more on how their firm is there to help can be seen here at

It’s also important to Attorney Shaw that people learn the symptoms of CO poisoning and how to prevent it. The most common of these are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. It’s also widely believed that people who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from CO poisoning before ever having symptoms. He added that there are several ways home and business owners can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in homes and buildings. The best of which is having carbon monoxide detectors installed throughout and changing the batteries in them every six months regardless of whether or not they are working. The firm’s managing partner also indicated that heating systems, water heaters, and any other gas, oil, or coal-burning appliances be serviced by a qualified technician every year. Also, roof vents and device flues need to be kept free of debris because this can block harmful CO emissions safely escaping a structure through ventilation lines. No gasoline-operated vehicle or device should ever be run inside a garage or building or within 20 feet of an open door or window to a structure.

Attorney Shaw firmly believes that CO poisoning is entirely preventable. He says people can protect themselves, their family, and their renters by learning the symptoms of CO poisoning and how to prevent it. The firm’s managing partner also says that if a person or a family member has been recently injured in a carbon monoxide incident, they are welcome to contact the attorneys at Carabin Shaw 24-hours a day. He mentioned that their attorneys have many years of experience representing individuals and families in all types of personal injury claims. Their firm will advocate tirelessly on a person’s behalf to help them pursue the compensation that they deserve. Attorney Shaw also informed that their initial consultations are always free and can be scheduled by calling them at 800-862-1260 or by filling out the form on this webpage found here at It was also pointed out that those who want more information on carbon monoxide poisoning can check out the CDC’s website which is located at


For more information about Carabin Shaw P.C., contact the company here:

Carabin Shaw P.C.
James Shaw
630 Broadway St
San Antonio, TX 78215
Phone: 210-222-2288
Phone: 800-862-1260